Friday, October 22, 2004

Scary Side of Organ Donation

An article from NRO talks about a recent case where an individual had his organs taken to be used in transplants before he was legally dead. Scary, and Wesley Smith summarises the implications succinctly.
The real danger to public confidence, not to mention the morality and ethics of medicine, lies in the growing advocacy to permit devastated and dying patients to be killed for their organs. Such a radical policy shift would not only shatter the public's willingness to sign organ-donation cards, but worse, it would turn would-be organ sources into commodities, reducing them from the status of fully human persons to mere harvestable natural resources.
I'm thinking I may switch my organ donor status next time I renew my driver's license.