Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Books

Read C.S. Lewis' A Grief Observed. It was interesting, but quite short. I don't think even a hundred pages, in fairly large type. Lewis moved through what looked to be the classic stages of grief, but most of it had a religious bent. It wasn't one of his best.

Finished out the Aubrey-Maturin series. I have to say, while I knew that I really enjoyed it while I was reading through it, I didn't realise just how much I enjoyed it until I finished. I was so disappointed that there were no more books, no more stories, no more information about these two characters. The last books were The Hundred Days, The Yellow Admiral and Blue at the Mizzen.

I also read 21, which is the fragment that was to have been the 21st Aubrey-Maturin book. It was unfinished when Patrick O'Brian died. It looked to have been quite as good as the rest and further increased my disappointment by reinforcing the point that there will be no more such books.