Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Books

I've finished another couple books. The first was a Hercule Poirot story by Agatha Christie, Murder in Three Acts. (It's also apparently sometimes titled Three Act Tragedy. I really hate it when books have two different titles, one under which they were published in England and another for the US.) It wasn't bad, though I think I had read it before. I have to say, I enjoy the Poirot novels of hers more than any of the others. It's unfortunate that she liked him least of her invented detectives. I figured out the story ahead of most of the characters in the book, but I'm not certain if it was because I'm just that clever, or if I was dimly recalling my previous reading. Neh.

The other book was The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. LeGuin. It wasn't bad, about on a par with the first book, A Wizard of Earth-Sea. Like the first, it's only about 180 pages and only took a couple hours to get through. I can see now, however, why the fans of this series were so put out about the mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel. This story was changed almost beyond recognition when they tried to mash it together with the first book. I'm still not terribly impressed. It's not on a par with either Narnia or Middle-Earth. The stories don't have the same depth and the characters aren't fleshed out as well. Perhaps the next two books will improve my opinion.