Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Caffeine Buzz

Reading Greg's post about his love for the drug, I was reminded of a National Geographic article that I read over Christmas. Unfortunately, the whole thing isn't available online and I don't remember as much as I would like. But I do recall being particularly struck by 3 images showing brain activity in different people. One person was not caffeine-dependent, one showed a caffeine-dependent person on their daily dose of caffeine and the third showed the dependent person deprived of their caffeine. To the naked and untrained eye (mine), the first two looked the same. But the third showed a huge decrease in brain activity. From that illustration, it appeared that there wasn't much difference between someone on caffeine and not, but once you're hooked, you're in trouble if you can't get your caffeine.