Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Blind Swordsman

Watched the first Zatoichi movie in the Zatoichi series the other day. I've seen a couple of them before, so I kinda knew what to expect, but this one was a bit different. I think it mostly was because it was the first one. There was a lot more exposition on who Zatoichi was, why he learned to fight with a sword even though he's blind, etc. The other movies I've watched, rather later in the series, take a lot of this for granted, for obvious reasons. The movie wasn't bad, on the whole. Some bits seemed a bit contrived, and the love interest, while moderately believable, seemed tacked on to a degree as well. Interestingly, the real villainous characters were mostly those on Zatoichi's "side" in the gang war that made up the primary plot of the film. I can certainly see why this movie ended up getting sequels, and, if the next few are as good or better, then I'll be able to better understand how there ended up being 26 movies and a 100+ episode TV series. I mean, the movies I've seen are good, but that many, that good?