Friday, February 04, 2005

There's no crying in baseball!

I've been watching the documentary series Baseball on DVD lately, (I can get a DVD every week or two from the library) and it struck me while I was watching the most recent installment that there are people who don't enjoy it. Most readily apparent is my wife. Oh, sure she'll pay attention to a bit here and there, but it doesn't spark any sort of abiding interest. While I know this should not surprise me, I cannot fathom how anyone could fail to be fascinated by the movies, pictures and stories that detail the history of our national pastime. Hearing stories about Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown and others is exciting, their on-field prowess amazing and their hi-jinks amusing. How my wife can sit and read a book about baby-rearing equipment and pay it no nevermind will probably forever elude me.

The documentary is a Ken Burns film, he of Civil War fame, and while it isn't quite that good it is still well done.