Thursday, February 05, 2009

"I'm a politician."

"Which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops."

A couple points on our new president; he seems to be a little too used to having the press roll over and fawn every time they're in his presence. He also seems to have the traditional political disdain for adhering to campaign promises.

I suppose it's partly because of the change of presidents and because of the change of party that's caused an increase in my political blogging. But also, I think that this particular president wasn't ready for primetime, as it were. In addition to the other people and problems on this list, it's come out today (or maybe yesterday) that Hilda Solis' (Secretary of Labor nominee) husband recently paid off tax liens over 16 years old. How many tax cheats is President Obama going to nominate? And, oddly, the only tax cheat to get confirmed was the one who will overee the IRS.

And, most seriously of all, we're already seeing a detrimental effect on our foreign prestige and ability to deter our most vicious enemies from attacking us.