Thursday, November 28, 2013

Wicked Awesome Hockey

I was lately in Boston for reasons of business and, while there, was able to take in my first NHL game. First hockey game at all, at all, in fact. It was well enough in its way, but I can't see it catching on.

So that's a bit of hyperbole, but I really didn't find it nearly as engaging as any of the big three. It was a bit like the one soccer game I've attended. It had its moments, there were exciting bits, but most of it seemed like a dull way to pass an evening. I suppose it's different if one has grown up with the game and sees the intricacies that are hidden from the new and casual fan. So I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Soccer is just boring though.

It wasn't as cold as I anticipated, but that may have been due in large part to sitting in the third deck. The crowd was large and enthusiastic, which was impressive given the cost of tickets. (Another reason for me to make this both the first and last game I attend in person.) The game was everything one could reasonably hope for in a first game.

It went to overtime, the home team kept the game tied despite getting one power-play (before I arrived; we got there about 5 minutes late) to the visitor's four and the home team scored a dramatic goal with 30 seconds left in OT to get the win and avoid a shoot-out. Still, I'd have probably been happier at a Celtics game if they'd been in town. This is likely borne out by the fact that I took nearly as many pictures of their banners as I did of the hockey game itself.
Not sorry I went though; as a sports fan it was an experience worth having at least once.