Monday, April 28, 2014

New York Giants... er, Mets Baseball

Well, now that I've missed the whole off-season, it's time to keep recapping my adventure last September. For those of you who haven't been here for the rest of the posts or can't remember (and who can blame you?), this is game four of seven on the baseball roadtrip my dad and I took last year. Previously it was the Pirates, the Nationals, and the Phillies. From Philadelphia we drove up to New York and saw the only afternoon game of the trip at Citi Field.

Let me get this out of the way now. New York is an impressive city, yes. But you couldn't pay me enough to live there and I'll never visit again if I can possibly avoid it. It's filthy, the people are rude, and everything is far too expensive.
That said, I enjoyed almost everything about the Mets game. Everything except the part where the drunk Giants fan was hitting on me. Which, if you've seen me, is weird. She must have really been wasted. The game itself was also strange. It was an afternoon game during the week, true, but even with a depressed attendance, it felt more like a Giants home game than a Mets home game. Giants fans probably outnumbered the home crowd by at least 2:1. So every time the PA tried to start a Mets cheer, the Giants fans just co-opted it and drowned them out. Check out how many fans are in orange.
All I could think of to explain it was perhaps there are a lot of residual Giants fans from when the Giants were a New York club? It's a stretch, but I couldn't come up with anything else. The game wasn't terribly exciting from an offensive standpoint, but I can appreciate good pitching at this game had that in abundance. Bumgarner went 7 and struck out 10 allowing only 1 run and Niese was only a little bit worse going 7 as well and giving up 2 runs while striking out 4. Most days that would be plenty good enough to win, but he just ended up facing a stellar performance from his opponent.
The park was a nice park, not too big, not too small and it was a gloriously bright and sunny day. Everything just shone on the field. If I didn't have to go to or through New York to get there, I'd be happy to see another game at Citi Field. Next up: The Evil Empire!