Friday, May 08, 2015

C: Currently Reading

If I'd finished this post the day I started it, I might could have put The Voyage of the Dawn Treader on the list, which I finished it while waiting for my daughter to finish her gymnastics class. (Ah, paralipsis, how I love thee!)

I'm roughly halfway through GK Chesterton's Heretics, which I have never read before despite reading Orthodoxy multiple times. It is interesting that the second book that loose pairing should have turned out to be the more enduring and long lasting. It's good, but I think it didn't last as well because the particular heretics which Chesterton inveighs against are now 100 years in the past, or very nearly.

I am technically about halfway through The Lord of the Rings since I am reading it aloud to my elder daughter. This is her first experience with this book, though I read The Hobbit to her last year. She's enamoured with it, but is longing for more women characters. Which, I understand, but I hope she doesn't let that blind her to the value of the work. On the other hand, we haven't met Éowyn quite yet, so...

Since starting this post, I've started re-reading a Father Brown omnibus. I'm not sure if I should refer to the omnibus as the book I'm reading or the first of the smaller volumes it collects.Regardless, it's a mere three books I'm reading currently. I have grand plans to finish them and start more, but if recent history is any guide that will take a while and longer than I plan.

Time was when I would sometimes have more than 7 or 8 books going at once, but those days have long since passed away. They may return, but for that to happen I think I will need to reach a point where I don't have children under the age of about 5 or 6.